Monday, July 27, 2009

I Peter 1:1-9 Where's my Inheritance?

The more I read these first few verses of I Peter, the more I am struck by the profound depth of meaning found within them. I think that as a Christian of many years my eyes moved over these first words with little effort, acknowledging my salvation is from the Lord and that we, as Christians are looking forward to heaven. But I did not allow my self to really soak up the message that Peter is conveying in these opening words. I must remember, he is writing these words within the midst of persecution, and he is declaring that we have an inheritance found in heaven that worth more than any treasure found on this earth. My heart is so consistently over whelmed by material wants and needs. I constantly complain about not having enough of this or that and the stuff I have is not good if it is not new.

But yet Peter telling us that what we have here on this earth is nothing compared to that inheritance found in heaven. What is this inheritance? It is the salvation of our soul from the judgment and condemnation we deserve. My heart is no longer excited about this Truth as it once was. It is taken for granted that a way of salvation has been made clear for me through Jesus. And so I make other things more important that God Himself. Peter goes so far as to say that suffering is a part of this world and as Christians we should expect that persecution because it is a testing ground for our faith. So I should look forward to the suffering that will come my way as a Christian.

The Theology of Peter seems to fly in the face of our current theological leaders of today. The mentality in the church today is that we can find our "Best Life Now". But is certainly not what Peter is promising. Our Best Life is yet to Come and during this life the Best might look like a lot of suffering for making the right choices that acknowledge God as Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment